The Buzzards Bay Coalition seeks a Waterfront Manager to support the development and implementation of high quality on-the-water programming and vessel management at the Onset Bay Center.
The Onset bay Center
The Onset Bay Center provides high-quality, on-the-water programs that engage people of all ages in a wide range of outdoor activities and educational programs focused on building connection and a sense of stewardship toward Buzzards Bay. In the past five years, we have acquired nearly 100 acres of beach, dune, tidal flats, saltmarshes and coastal forestland at Burgess Point, Wickets Island and Shell Point Bay. These and other lands provide the destinations for Bay ecology and on-the-water programs. The Onset Bay Center is anchored at and supported by a main clubhouse facility at the Onset Bathhouse in the heart of the Village. Rehabilitation of the Onset Bathhouse was completed in May 2020. We are preparing for a full schedule of 2021 programs that will incorporate both full-day, half-day, and excursion sessions. We are committed to providing year-round programs to Onset and aim to serve at least 1,000 children and adults by our fifth year of operation.
Responsibilities of the Waterfront Manager
Working with the Onset Bay Center Director, the Waterfront Manager will be responsible for managing the OBC’s fleet of vessels, coordinating the OBC’s Instructional Sailing programs, and implementing high quality on-the-water programs at the Onset Bay Center.
- Managing the acquisition, maintenance and storage of all sailing, rowing, paddling and other vessels and outdoor exploration equipment, including coordination of emergency procedure plans for all boating and marine (docks, floats) infrastructure.
- Assisting with the design and implementation of on-the-water recreation and outdoor exploration programs that attract a wide range of people;
- Ensuring a safe environment for all outdoor, on-the-water and shore side activities;
- Assisting in the daily management of seasonal sailing staff; providing work plans and supervision, ensuring training, and evaluating progress while fostering an environment that rewards performance, builds confidence, and encourages teamwork;
- Recruiting, training and managing volunteers for additional program support;
- Assisting with exemplary maintenance of all facilities (Bathhouse, outbuildings, docks and piers) and more than 100 acres of natural lands including public access to Wickets Island;
- Communicating regularly with local officials (i.e. Wareham Harbormaster) and other water users regarding Onset Bay Center programs.
The full-time Waterfront Manager position reports to the Onset Bay Center Director and is based at the Coalition’s Onset Bathhouse. In the offseason, boat and equipment storage and maintenance space is provided at the organization’s field operations facility in Marion.
The ideal candidate will have:
- more than 3 years of on-the-water boating, nonprofit or recreation program experience;
- a proven track record of successfully creating and implementing on-the-water education and recreational programs;
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills, particularly with children and young adults;
- and a passion for the environment and Buzzards Bay.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher is required with a preference for environmental/marine science.
Applicants must be willing to work some weekends or in the evenings and in various weather conditions. CPR and First Aid certifications are required.
Preference will be given to applicants willing to relocate to the Wareham area, preferably Onset Village, and remain living in the area while holding the position.
Highly competitive salary plus benefits including employer contributions towards Health Insurance and 401(k) Retirement plan and access to supplemental benefits.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
The Coalition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by email to Katherine Garofoli, Onset Bay Center Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.