Wickford Sailing Association (WSA) is seeking a Program Director at our location within the Wickford Yacht Club located at 165 Pleasant Street, Wickford, Rhode Island 02852.
Our mission is to train students in the art and skill of sailing. Through hands-on experience and class instruction in beautiful Wickford, Rhode Island, we hope to produce well-rounded sailors who are at home aboard a sailing dinghy, a cruising sailboat, or a racing boat. Above all, our goal is to have our students safely enjoy their time on the water.
Our junior classes are taught in Optimists, Prams, RS Teras, C 420s and RS Quests. Our limited adult program is taught is a variety of small keelboats as well as the RS Quests. STEM/STEAM activities are blended into all classes.
WSA is seeking an individual who, ideally, could make a commitment of several years; WSA is willing to tailor the position to suit the right candidate.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and quantity of agreed upon responsibilities.
Candidate would be expected to participate in most, if not all, of the following:
Off-season responsibilities – part time
· Leading the design and implementation of curriculum for all sailing programs. This includes STEM/STEAM offerings, as well as the sailing instruction curriculum.
· Recruiting and hiring summer staff in collaboration with the WSA Board.
· Updating and interfacing with the WSA online registration system including periodic updates of the WSA website.
· Advertising WSA program via nearby school systems and other appropriate outlets.
· Managing Q & A associated with registration as well as class placement.
· Maintaining powerboat and trailer registrations with Rhode Island agencies.
· Coordinating all sail and powerboat seasonal maintenance and needed repairs, including in season.
· Supervising and participating in pre and post-season program preparation and breakdown.
· Representing WSA in periodic NBYA meetings which are done remotely throughout the year.
· Reporting to the WSA board in person at least two times per year
In season responsibilities – full time (could be part time)
· Manage youth and adult sailing programs and race teams.
· Oversee the development of lesson plans and preparation for on and off the water instruction. This includes STEM/STEAM offerings, as well as sailing instruction curriculum.
· Daily supervision of summer staff including scheduling, approval of time sheets, handling of all staff schedule change requests including time off.
· Serving as primary contact with parents during the season.
· Mentoring parents on their role as volunteers.
· Maintaining records of participants and their progress in the sailing programs.
· Instructing one or more classes, up to 20 hours per week
· Reporting to WSA president on a daily basis about program operations
· Prior experience in sailing program instruction
· Prior experience managing employees
· First Aid, CPR and Safe Sport certifications
· Level 2 or higher US Sailing certification
· Prior or continuing experience in competitive sailing
· Prior experience as a program director in any activity