Falmouth Harbor Sailing School - Program Director Job Description
Situated on the shores of Vineyard Sound and boasting the best sailing conditions on Cape Cod, The Falmouth Harbor Sailing School (FHSS) is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing the youth of Falmouth with a lifelong appreciation of sailing and seamanship. Operating out of the Falmouth Yacht Club, FHSS provides sailing instruction to over 100 students every week and has a history of developing some of the best sailors in the region. Classes progress students through Optimists and 420 Tracks as well as Adventure Boating. The successful candidate will lead a group of approximately 10 paid instructors and 10 junior volunteer instructors in the execution of safe and well-developed instruction which will foster a lifelong desire to engage with the ocean and the sport of sailing.
In collaboration with the FHSS Board of Directors, the Program Director will develop an annual budget to provide a staff and equipment that will facilitate SAFE instruction. The safety of our students is the primary concern of the FHSS. The Program Director will develop and oversee implementation of the Sailing School curriculum, the management of team, and the utilization of facilities and assets.
Key Tasks for the Program Director:
- Ensuring the safety of all staff and students
- Hiring a qualified team
- Development of safe and engaging curriculum that achieves the FHSS mission
- Advise the Board of Directors on class options and capacities
- Overseeing staff education, certification, and implementation of the curriculum (including day-to-day management of employees)
- Meet weekly with the President of the Board of Directors to update requirements and concerns
- Organize, store, and maintain an inventory of all FHSS equipment (sails, soars, hulls, trailers, etc.) on and off the property
- Collaborating with the FYC General Manager on use of facilities and issues related to operation of the boat basin and common areas at the club
- Overseeing payroll operation for the staff in conjunction with the FHSS Treasurer and bookkeeper
- Maintaining the school’s equipment which includes power boats and sailing vessels
- Scheduling team to facilitate classes and racing events at other venues
- Managing logistics (e.g. boat and personnel transportation) in support of remote events
- Providing effective communication with students, staff, parents, and the Board
The Program Director is expected to work on premises five days per week for ten weeks: the 8 weeks that the program is active, the “Staff Week” that precedes week one, and the “Cleanup Week” following week eight. Additionally, weekend / afternoons will be required in the spring and fall to provide maintenance to our equipment. Hiring of the staff will be done over the winter and time should be managed by the Program Director.
The Program Director must have strong organization and planning skills. They will have a safety focus that recognizes the inherent dangers of the sport and develop mitigation strategies that will safeguard our students and staff. Above all, the successful candidate will demonstrate a passion for connecting youth with sailing and seamanship.