Join us for the summer of 2021! Last summer was quite an adventure with Covid-19, but we were able to enjoy classes with an all-local student body. We've built up a large group of students eager to race.
The Miles River Yacht Club wants to hire two Optimist racing coaches and a 420 racing coach for the 2021 summer season. The positions offer several opportunities: lead a team of racing students, work with a great group of coworkers, enjoy the summer in St. Michaels, and try out our region's sailing experiences (racing Log Canoes and an active Star class).
Our sailing school has about 14 instructors teaching classes from intro boating and Adventure Sailing to our racing teams in Optis and 420s. Our students have plenty of opportunities to explore sailing in a fun camp environment. Instructors work together to foster a love of sailing and encourage those who want to compete.
Our Racing Team participates in 10 regattas over the summer and each racing coach travels with the team of racers to coach on the water. Racing coaches are paid a weekly salary that compensates for the extra time spent. Not all weeks require 40 hours, but some will require more. There is only one weekend regatta, so weekends are mostly free. Team sizes vary as summer progresses, but racing coaches can expect to coach 4-10 students.
The ideal candidate would be:
• US SAILING Small Boat Sailing Level 3 Coach certified (or equivalent)
• Experience instructing juniors in a sailing program
• Experience racing in Optis, Lasers, or 420s
• Experience racing on a high school, or college team
• Committed to teaching juniors to enjoy sailing
• Enjoys working with other instructors to increase their skills
• Excited to join an established program with a small group of committed racers!
June 14th is the start of instructor training and students arrive on June 21st. Housing for up to 4 instructors is lined up. If interested, please send your resume and any questions to: