Join us for the summer of 2024!
The Miles River Yacht Club is hiring several Opti and 420 racing coaches for the 2024 summer season. The positions offer several opportunities: lead a team of racing students, work with a great group of coworkers, enjoy the summer in St. Michaels, and try out our region's sailing experiences (racing Log Canoes and an active Star class).
Our sailing school has about 15 instructors teaching classes from intro boating to our racing teams in Optis and 420s. Our students have plenty of opportunities to explore sailing in a fun camp environment. Instructors work together to foster a love of sailing and encourage those who want to compete.
Our Racing Team participates in 10 regattas over the summer, and each racing coach travels with the team to coach on the water. Not all weeks require 40 hours, but some will require more. There is only one regatta on a weekend, so weekends are mostly free. Team sizes vary as summer progresses, but racing coaches can expect to coach 4-10 students and one assistant.
The ideal candidate would be:
• US SAILING Small Boat Sailing Level 3 Coach certified (or equivalent)
• Experienced instructing juniors in a sailing program
• Experienced racing in Optis, Lasers, or 420s
• Experienced racing on a high school or college team
• Committed to teaching juniors to enjoy sailing
• Enjoys working with other instructors to increase their skills
• Excited to join an established program with a small group of committed racers!
On June 10th, instructor training starts, and students arrive on June 17th. We can provide housing for up to 4 instructors. We hire international coaches (Argentina, Ireland, and Denmark are common countries), and we can help with travel and visas.
If interested, please send your resume and any questions to:Marshall Patterson