Overview: Sail Sand Point Youth Sailing (SPYS) caters to youth interested in the exciting world of dinghy racing whether they are an 8 year old racing Optis or an 18 year old racing on a High School team. This program puts an emphasis on team-building and improving sailing skills, but most importantly on having fun and practicing good sportsmanship on the water. Community and learning take priority over competition. Sail Sand Point has three distinct youth racing groups: Sand Point Opti Team (SPOT), SPYS (summer circuit for 12+), and the High School Racing Program (spring and fall, for 13+).
Coaches are tasked with introducing young sailors to racing and providing on-the-water instruction and assistance, at practices and regattas, to racers of all skill levels. Coaches are expected to participate in helping each sailor grow throughout the season by setting goals and expectations, providing a safe environment, and encouraging new and advanced sailors to attend regattas and clinics.
This position is part-time, working 20-25 hours a week. It will include coaching our Opti Development Team and Opti Advanced Racing Team. These practices occur two times a week M/W or Tue/Thu from 4:30pm-7:30pm. Some travel may be required on weekends for clinics and regattas.
Reports to: Sailing Director Classification: Seasonal, part-time position; some weekends are required
Dates of Employment: Variable, Sept-Dec, Feb-May Compensation: $18-18.50/hr, DOE Prerequisite Skills:
• Coach four practices a week
• Attend and coach at designated regattas/clinics throughout the practice season
• Organize and attend social/teambuilding events for team members
• Monitor sailors progression and work to set goals with each sailor
• Manage and maintain the race equipment
• Keep up communication with sailors through the use of blog posts and emails
• Communicate with parents regarding participation, regattas, and any additional concerns
• Ensure a safe, fun, and educational environment for your campers
• Communicate with parents about practices and regattas
Offers of employment are contingent on passing a criminal background check. Job descriptions are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the position and are not intended to reflect all duties performed with the job. To apply send a resume, cover letter, and two professional, academic or personal references to the hiring team at email@example.com
Sail Sand Point is an equal opportunity employer who believes every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. Sail Sand Point does not tolerate any unlawful discrimination or harassment