Sailing and Recreational Boating Coach
Job No: 103346
A Campus of The California State University
JOB BULLETIN No.: 103346- 22/23
Department of Athletics & Physical Education
Sailing and Recreational Boating Coach
Part-time, Temporary (Annual Renewable)
Approximate Starting Date: August 22, 2022
The Department of Athletics of the California State University Maritime Academy is accepting applications for Part-time Sailing and Recreational Boating Coach. Although this position will remain open until filled, review of applications will begin immediately. Applicants expecting to be considered for the Sailing and Recreational Boating Coach position must complete their online application and submit requested materials to Human Resource by close of business day on July 30, 2022 to receive priority consideration.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT OF ATHLETICS & PHYSICAL EDUCATION: Cal Maritime takes great pride in providing the best training and education to prepare cadets for careers in the global maritime profession. The Keelhaulers' athletics program plays a key role in the “leadership laboratory” showcasing Tomorrow's Leaders Today. The Athletic Department at CSU Maritime Academy is currently accepting applications for a coaching position for the 2022-2023 academic year, with the possibility of annual reappointment dependent on performance and budget considerations.
ABOUT CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY (Cal Maritime): Located on a compact but scenic waterfront campus in Vallejo, California (30 miles northeast of San Francisco), California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) is a unique and specialized campus of the 23-campus system. Serving a population of approximately 1100 undergraduate and 50 graduate students, we are one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States — and the only one on the West Coast. Cal Maritime offers six baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA), Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, and Marine Transportation. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree. Please visit our website for more information about California State University Maritime Academy .
Our programs focus on intellectual learning, applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness. Cal Maritime students participate in training cruises aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear or other international educational experiences - gaining a unique perspective on our increasingly global culture and economy. Cal Maritime is committed to being a leading educational institution recognized for excellence in the business, engineering, operations, security and policy of the transportation industries of the Pacific Rim and beyond. We are equally committed to hiring and retaining diverse and dedicated faculty and staff who lead the way in helping our students expand their knowledge and potential.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in all aspects of an intercollegiate sailing program competing as a member of the Pacific Coast College Sailing Conference (PCCSC), Intercollegiate Sailing Conference (ICSA) and non-collegiate regattas.
• Responsibilities include inside recruiting, all phases of preparation for competition, including conducting practices, program development, and establishment of a strong academic support environment.
• Manage and direct practices and regattas primarily aboard the team's TP52, based in Richmond, but occasionally other vessels.
• Supervise occasional dinghy practice sessions, facilitate maintenance, and occasionally supervise team travel to dingy regattas.
• Occasionally assist with beginner sailing PE courses on board J22s on our waterfront campus.
• Work closely with the Head Sailing Coach and undergrad team Captains.
• Bachelor's Degree preferred
• Demonstrated racing experience at a highly competitive level
• Coaching experience, collegiate level preferred.
• Offshore Distance racing experience, collegiate preferred.
• USCG Masters license with sailing endorsement.
• US Sailing certification preferred.
• Ability to work collegially and collaboratively as a member of the faculty.
SALARY COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with the education, qualifications, and experience of the individual.
• The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
• This position is a “designated position” in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
• This position requires a valid California driver's license to enable the driving of Cal Maritime vehicles and tools which include but are not limited to outboard motors, hand tools, truck towing, power tools, diesel engines, and golf carts. The incumbent will be required to travel to other geographic locations and work some evenings and weekends.
• Completion of theCSUDefensive Driving TrainingClass
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
• On the job, the employee is: exposed to excessive noise; around moving machinery; Is exposed to marked changes in temperature and/or humidity; Is exposed to dust, fumes, gases, radiation, microwave (circle); and drives motorized equipment
• The role requires regularly working outdoors and routinely exposed to the sun. The position may be exposed to extreme heat or cold and rain, in addition to working on uneven, slippery surfaces.
• Typical classroom and office environment are in a two-story building with elevator access.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK:
• Applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days from the date of hire.
• A background check investigation (including a criminal records check and fingerprinting) is required prior to employment. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of a current CSU employees who was conditionally offered the position.
• Applicants must submit on hire official documentation as proof of degree, license, or certificates as required.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application packet of information requested below. Apply on-line through our Cal Maritime Faculty Careers Opportunities website.
• Cal Maritime Employment Application (required)
• Letter of interest
• Curriculum Vitae
• Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references
• Finalists will be required to submit three reference letters prior to final campus interview.
NOTIFICATION: Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants not selected for an interview will be notified only after the position closes and the successful candidate has been selected.
TITLE IX: Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at on the CSU Title IX website.
EEO STATEMENT: Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.
DISCLAIMER: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or changed.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3227578
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.