About Sail Nauticus
Nauticus is a maritime-themed museum located on the scenic Elizabeth River waterfront in the heart of downtown Norfolk, VA. In addition to the museum, the Nauticus campus is home to Sail Nauticus, a non-profit community sailing center. Our mission at Sail Nauticus is to positively inspire, instruct, and impact Hampton Roads youth through sailing and maritime sciences. Our flagship initiative, the Sail Nauticus Academy, is a hands-on sailing and STEM education after-school program that focuses on teaching lifelong leadership, communication, and teamwork skills to Norfolk youth. Sail Nauticus also runs a fee-based adult membership program.
About the position
The Sailing Center Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of Sail Nauticus (safety, planning, budget, scheduling, managing/preparing budget, fleet, etc.). This position is also involved in development to grow revenues, community outreach and advocacy for Nauticus sailing programming.
The Sailing Center Manager oversees the work of staff members (4 full-time, several part-time/seasonal and volunteers) and related programs (youth sailing, adult sailing, Schooner).
This position reports to the Executive Director of the Foundation/ Director of Education.
This a full-time position with benefits. It requires working on weekdays and weekends.
Pay range: $57K - $70K based on qualifications, experience and certification.
What you will do day in and day out
- Lead a great team of people dedicated to bringing sailing year-round to public school students, children and adults. This includes hiring and coaching of direct reports as well as oversight of volunteers, seasonal and part-time staff.
- Work on the waterfront of the Elizabeth River in the heart of Norfolk, an up-and-coming coastal town with a multitude of entertainment opportunities such as rooftop dining, a vibrant arts scene, and seasonal festivals.
- Be an active member in the Nauticus leadership team to develop Sail Nauticus’ strategic plans to include programming, staffing, fleet, budget.
- Collaborate with our Development staff to support funding for sailing programs, sponsorships, community events, VIP visits, etc.
- Be in charge of safety for the entire Sail Nauticus. Establish procedures, oversee training, accountable to insurance.
- Handle special projects that might come your way by planning, designing, and overseeing the execution of capital and non-capital projects.
- Advocate for and represent Nauticus sailing programs in the community, and with trade/professional associations,
About the ideal candidate
The successful candidate needs to have:
- Demonstrated experience of program assessment and growth
- Demonstrated experience with program management.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with business and operational development.
- Experience with community partner building and fundraising.
- Experience operating a sailboat with multiple passengers in an active harbor.
- Experience operating sailboats and small powerboats
- Program and facilities management
- Familiar with the Marine industry and regulations (e.g. USCG, Army Corps), equipment and maintenance suppliers.
- US Sailing certification Basic Keelboat/Level 1-2 Dinghy Instructor Certification
- First Aid and CPR certifications
- Experience working in non-profit organization
Please submit all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nauticus Foundation is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.