Sailing Coach/Instructor - Summer 2019
Tarratine Yacht Club
Islesboro, ME 04848
The Tarratine Club of Dark Harbor - located in Islesboro, Maine, a 14-mile long island in the heart of picturesque Penobscot Bay - seeks to hire two (2) sailing coaches/instructors for its 2019 Junior Sailing program (for a total of 5 head coaches including the three returning from the 2018 season). Founded in 1896, the club enjoys a strong tradition of racing and recreational sailing, as well as golf and tennis. Approximately 125 sailors passed through the junior program during the 2018 season with a peak daily census of around 50 kids.
The club operates five classes of boats: 420s, Optimists and Turnabouts in the junior program, as well as Herreshoff 12s and the renowned Dark Harbor 20, a classic 30' racing sloop designed by Sparkman & Stephens that is unique to the Tarratine Club.
These are full-time, summer positions (including occasional evenings and weekends) reporting to the club's Head of Junior Sailing. Instructor responsibilities include:
• Introductory/intermediate sailing and seamanship instruction in the morning junior sailing program in Optis (20), 420s (10) and Turnabouts (20+);
• Race coaching in the afternoon 420 race program including inter-club and intra-club series racing;
• Supervising and mentoring the club’s eight (8) teenage Junior Instructors;
• Occasional weekend Race Committee duties; and
• An interest in racing Dark Harbor 20s and Herreshoff 12s when not occupied by teaching responsibilities.
The club is looking for mature, enthusiastic sailors with a strong background in instruction and racing, as well as a demonstrated ability to teach sailors with varied skills and interests. The club offers competitive salary, housing, shift lunch, and a season-end merit bonus.
• Opti / 420 racing experience
• US Sailing Level 1 Instructor
• Prior race coach / instructor experience
• Current CPR & First Aid certifications
• Ability to operate a motorboat safely
• College racing experience
• 420 race coach experience
• US Sailing Level 2 or 3 Instructor
• Advanced Lifesaving / Water Safety Instructor
• Ability to drive and tow a trailer
To apply, please e-mail a sailing resume to Katherine Lee, Head of Junior Sailing, at email@example.com, or contact http://sailingjobs.sail1design.com/util/displayadclick.aspx?id=90&url=http://www.rssailing.com/usKatherine directly at (315) 527-6251.
P. O. Box 140