Richmond Yacht Club Sailing Director on the San Francisco Bay
About the Richmond Yacht Club
Richmond Yacht Club was established in 1932 and has over 1200 members. It is located on the east side of the San Francisco Bay in an area known as the “Richmond Riviera”, which has the most consistent breeze on the bay with access to multiple teaching and racing venues, year-round. Our motto is “This club was built for fun”, we have the reputation of being the “Sailingest club on the Bay”. We share our enthusiasm and passion for sailing by providing programs, competition, and events for the sailing local, national and international community. We promote excellence in sailing and boating through teaching and lifelong learning.
The core values of the Richmond Yacht Club are:
o Enthusiasm, Passion
o Inclusion, teamwork, care for others, sharing, generosity of time and spirit, patience.
o Honesty, respect, sportsmanship, reliability, accountability
o Longevity, tradition, hard work, enthusiasm, dedication
· Leadership by Example
This is a new position. RYC has well respected programs in high school sailing, summer day camps, racing clinics, adult sailing instruction, and a volunteer-run junior program in the winter months. RYC’s volunteer Standing Race Committee runs numerous regattas throughout the year. The new Sailing Director will be responsible for managing the resources necessary for these programs. The Sailing Director will work closely with various committee chairs and their committees for program planning, scheduling, marketing, communications, asset management and capital planning. The Sailing Director will also have the opportunity to develop new programs and help RYC’s established programs evolve to meet the changing needs of the membership.
This is a year-round full-time position which includes weekends and some evenings, with days off Monday and Tuesday. This is a highly visible position with peak workload in the summer months. Broadly, the Sailing Director will provide an environment that is conducive to being active on the water, a platform for learning, and serve as an informational contact for RYC membership and other sailing organizations.
Our sailing activities have included:
- Summer Staffed Sailing Program
- Junior Program, member volunteer run for over 75 years!
- Regattas and sailing events
- Skiff Sailing
- Racing Clinics
- Adult Training Programs
- Inclusive Sailing Programs
- High School Sailing
The starting salary range is $80,000 to $90,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. The ability to live aboard a boat in RYC’s marina can also be negotiated.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Management and Support
· Create an enjoyable, supportive, and safe experience for sailing program and regatta participants.
· Provide oversight of all related waterfront and instructional activities.
· Market, promote, and continuously improve quality of all programs, building participation among members and attracting prospective members.
· Ensure support boats are reserved and ready for programs and regattas and that they are cared for and stored properly afterwards.
· Oversee effective routine maintenance and upkeep of all club owned boats including sailboats and powered support boats.
· Calendar and facility coordination for all waterfront related activities.
· Prepare sailing program plans, materials, documentation, lesson plans, promotional materials.
· Assist General Manager in annual budget preparation for programs and waterfront assets.
· Coordinate administrative duties working with office staff and volunteers.
· Interview, select, train, schedule and supervise qualified instructors and coaches for each program as required. Work with General Manager and Board of Directors when hiring additional staff.
· Provide input and assist General Manager with performance evaluations of waterfront personnel and coaches.
· Provide volunteer training for sailing instruction, race management and safe powerboat handling.