Sailing Instructor - HOUSING AVAILABLE
Ram Island Yacht Club
60 Front Street
Noank, CT 06340
Ram Island Yacht Club (RIYC) in Noank (Groton), CT is seeking experienced and energetic sailing instructors for the 2020 summer season (Classes run June 22th – August 14th). RIYC is located at the mouth of the Mystic River and operates and competes in the ECSA, primarily between Weekapaug, RI and Niantic, CT.
The RIYC instructors/coaches will work with a team of volunteer members and/or parents and report to a Head Instructor to create a fun and challenging experience for new sailors and advanced sailors alike.
Ram’s Jr. program has Optimists, 420’s and O’pen Bics, although we also aim to have our sailors experience sailing and boating on all types of vessels throughout the summer.
This is a full time summer program beginning on or about June 15 (for week of instructor prep and training), with classes starting on June 22th and continuing for eight weeks. The program ends on August 14th.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Oversee and participate in all phases of the program including: administration, maintenance and inventory of fleet and gear, and planning and preparation for class and regatta events.
• Oversee and continually monitor students' safety standards and procedures, ON AND OFF THE WATER.
• Be accountable for the care and upkeep of the yacht club owned sailboats and gear, as well as instructor power boats during the summer.
• Communicate with parents and guardians and work closely with Jr. Sailing board liaisons (parent members).
• Coordinate and communicate the participation of RIYC youth sailors at local regattas with students, parents and/or guardians
• Coordinate curriculum, logistics and instructional coverage
• Keep track of medical forms and other important info.
• Construct a weekly update to parents to review progress and preview the upcoming week’s events.
• Conduct a final assessment of each child and provide to each parent at the end of the summer.
HOUSING CURRENTLY AVAILABLE.
US Level 1, 2, or 3
Safe Boating Certificate
Current First Aid, CPR and Defibrillator Training
Commitment to Safety
Prior Youth Sailing Coaching Experience
Prior Youth Sailing Program Administrative Experience (desired)
60 Front Street