Sailing Instructors are core members of our staff as they serve as skippers and coaches onboard our sailing vessels. Instructors are responsible for client safety and enjoyment always, both on and off the water.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Teach a variety of sailing courses, including Learn to Sail, Racing, Youth Programming and Corporate Racing events both in the classroom and on the water
- Maintain clean, safe and tidy boats and dock space
- Ability to safely single-hand a sailboat
- Create a fun and safe environment for clients while underway, coaching as needed
- Pursue additional teaching and USCG license credentials as needed
- Perform occasional fleet maintenance alongside the Fleet Manager
Must have USCG OUPV 6 PAC or Limited OUPV Credential. All instructors should have a minimum of 3 months (90 days) of sailing experience in NY Harbor or 1 year of sailing experience on keelboats. **If you don't have a USCG License BUT do have the required sailing experience, we may still have an opportunity for you**
Peak times for instructors are weekends (Saturday & Sunday 9AM-5PM) as well as Wednesday and Thursday weeknights (5PM-9PM). Those chosen to work with our children's program can expect to work Monday-Friday (9AM-4PM) form June-August. Instructors may also be subject to additional schedule requirements, subject to availability.