1. Hold a current US Sailing Basic Keelboat Instructor Certification or the ability to garner one expeditiously.
2. Current First Aid and CPR certification.
3. Must have a passion for sailing, the environment and working with kids.
4. Must have a positive, enthusiastic, and flexible attitude.
5. Must possess strong problem-solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending on weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
1. The sailing instructor must be able to teach safety, boat handling and sailing theory to children and adults in keelboats who are beginning, intermediate or racing sailors.
2. He/She must be able to develop and follow lesson plans that include dry land and on-the-water drills and inclement weather activities.
3. He/She must have empathy for the students and be able to adapt to their individual needs.
4. The instructor is responsible for notifying students of any changes in class times, postponement due to weather conditions and make-up dates. Accurate records of attendance, injuries, and boat damage is required.
5. When scheduled, the sailing instructor will be required to act as Race Committee during Club sponsored races.
6. Other duties include care and maintenance of boats and the facility.
7. On occasion, the sailing instructor will be required to fulfill the duties of a Waterfront Coordinator. These duties include providing general and on-shore assistance to users and sailing instructors, monitor users on the water and provide on-the-water assistance and/or rescue as situations dictate. He/She will also be required to perform administrative tasks such as collecting checks, cash and accepting credit card payments for instruction, and performing additional duties as required by the Sailing Director.
8. The instructor must have knowledge and respect of the rules and regulations of the Club and of New York harbor and are able to enforce them.
9. Perform additional tasks to assist in outreach of organization: blog posts, interviews, helping out at events, etc.
10. Helping to maintain and clean the docks, boats and grounds before and after class
• Subsidized housing options in Hoboken
• Pier 12 Office and Clubhouse use
• Use of the Club’s fleet of boats that include 6 J 80’s, 3 J24’s, Rib Inboard, 23’ Carolina Skiff
• Flexible schedule
• Invitation to all Club events
• Invitation to the winter Caribbean trip
• A culture that values authenticity, trust, curiosity, and diversity of thought