Rocking the Boat empowers young people to develop the self-confidence to set ambitious goals and gain the skills necessary to achieve them. Rocking the Boat began as a boatbuilding afterschool project for the high-need community of the South Bronx and incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit in 2001. Today, the organization, with an annual budget of $3,000,000, is a hub of youth development programming that serves nearly 4,000 community members annually. The mediums of boatbuilding, environmental science, and sailing are paired with social-emotional, academic, and career counseling by a team of licensed social workers to have profound and lasting impact on participants. Rocking the Boat became an accredited U.S. Sailing Community Sailing Center in 2018.
The Sailing Instructor is responsible for leading a sailing program for high school students. Strong candidates must be an experienced sailing instructor able to successfully teach students to become proficient sailors while integrating youth development methodology. The position reports to the Director of Sailing Programs. This is a seasonal position, with the possibility of becoming full time year round.
Program Delivery: Ensuring the successful implementation of a youth sailing program
- Collaboratively plans and leads engaging and relevant programs to participants in sailing and sailing instruction
- Incorporates principals of positive youth development in program planning and delivery
- Implements Rocking the Boat’s Technical Skills curriculum and works with participants to demonstrate individual achievement through mastering those skills
- Collaborates with the Social Work team to address participant’s needs
- Helps plan and lead day-long and overnight trips
- Collaborates with local schools and community groups participating in sailing programs
- Participates in monitoring and evaluation designed to assess programmatic success
- Fulfills all programmatic content and schedule commitments to dedicated funding sources
Program Administration: Ensuring the timely and accurate preparation of information and data necessary to deliver successful programs
- Maintains accurate participant records including attendance, technical skill accomplishment, and other information
- Sources and purchases needed materials and equipment within the parameters established in annual budgets; provides timely and accurate accounting of all expenses
Program Facilities, Equipment, and Safety: Ensuring that the physical resources are in place to provide safe and successful programming
- Follows all Rocking the Boat safety protocols; identifies and corrects any safety issues
- Performs any needed maintenance on Rocking the Boat’s sailing fleet, equipment and docks
- Contributes to the maintenance of shared resources as needed
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. The position supports other departments as needed, and there may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Sailing Instructor as the subject.