Multiple openings for the 2024 season!
Pleasant Bay Community Boating is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational organization offering boating, marine education, and environmental stewardship opportunities to residents and visitors to the Pleasant Bay region. We are dedicated to serving all members of the community including those with physical, developmental and cognitive disabilities, as well as under-served families and at-risk youth.
PBCB is located in Harwich, MA right on Pleasant Bay. We have fleets of Flying Scots, catboats, Optis, 420s, Sunfish, and kayaks and teach people of all ages.
- Become familiar with our program offerings and be able to answer customer questions
- Be ready to work and greet families/participants before each class
- Prepare and teach lessons based on an overarching curriculum for our variety of classes, which will include drills, lessons, and activities both on the water and onshore
- Weekly offerings include youth lessons, adult lessons, outreach lessons, adaptive lessons, family racing, and cruises around Pleasant Bay's islands. We will work together to come up with a schedule of classes that you're excited about!
- Each lesson should begin with a chalk talk, demonstration, or drill
- Be prepared to lead alternate activity plans for days with high winds, fog, or thunderstorms
- Help enforce PBCB’s water safety protocols and act as a role model on the bay
- For youth classes, ensure that children are continuously supervised from drop off to pick up, especially those in your boat
- Report issues with boats, students, renters, curriculum, etc. to appropriate senior staff
- Maintain a professional and fun demeanor
- Work alongside PBCB’s directors and other instructors to make sure sailors are learning, progressing, and staying safe
- Friendly, outgoing, organized, responsible, hardworking
- Always model respect for the water, each other, and our equipment
- Follow all PBCB policies and guidelines
- Eager to help with additional small tasks when asked (check-in and check-out, rigging and derigging dinghies, and all other reasonable duties related to working with children and boats)
- You must be 18 or older by June 24th, 2024
- Strong background in sailing required, experience with the boats in our fleet preferred
- Able to work outdoors and move small boats using dollies
- Experience teaching sailing and willingness to work with people of all backgrounds required
- US Sailing certifications strongly considered, current CPR/First Aid required
- Ability to safely operate a powerboat, or willingness to learn, required
- Any additional certifications or experience related to sailing, powerboating, boat maintenance, leadership, working with children, or water safety will be strongly considered
- Availability for the duration of our summer programming required: June 17th through August 16th, 2024
- Employees are given a complimentary boat rental pass for off duty use
Please send a resume and cover letter to Ali Hogue. Feel free to reach out with any questions!