Youth Sailing Virginia is seeking sailing instructors who are passionate about positively impacting lives by providing accessible educational recreational opportunities on Mill Creek for people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities. Part-time opportunities will begin this spring continuing through the fall and 40-hour work-week employment will be offered in the summer months. Candidates must be motivated, able to work within a team as well as on their own, and have proven skills working with students. This position will work closely with fellow instructors, YSV support staff, and junior instructors and report to the Executive Director.
1. Hold a current US Sailing Level 1 Small Boat Instructor certification or Basic Keelboat Instructor certification. YSV may be able to help you obtain certifcations.
2. Current Red Cross and CPR certification.
3. Up to date Safe Sport training and must pass a background check.
4. Must have a passion for sailing, the environment, and working with kids.
5. Must have a positive, enthusiastic and flexible attitude.
6. Must possess strong problem-solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending on weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
1. The sailing instructor must be able to teach safety, boat handling and sailing theory to children and adults in dinghies and keelboats who are beginning or intermediate.
2. They must be able to develop and follow lesson plans that include dry land and on-the-water drills and inclement weather activities.
3. They must have empathy for the students and be able to adapt to their individual needs.
4. The instructor is responsible for notifying students of any changes in class times, postponement due to weather conditions and make-up dates. Accurate records of attendance, injuries and boat damage is required.
5. Other duties include the care and maintenance of boats and the facility.
6. The instructor must have knowledge and respect for the rules and regulations of the organization and the harbor and are able to enforce them. They must be familiar with the YSV’s Risk Management Plan.
7. Perform additional tasks to assist in the outreach of organization: blog posts, interviews, helping out at events, etc.
8. They must complete basic environmental activities with the students throughout the week
9. Helping to maintain and clean the docks, boats, and grounds before and after class.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject: Sailing Instructor.