Full time: June 12th -August 23, 2023 (10.5 weeks) - 35 hour work week
The Program Director (or Co-Program Directors, if applicable; hereafter, together the Director) has overall operational responsibility for the summer season sailing program. The Director must be friendly, courteous and knowledgeable of all program operations, daily operations and applicable IJS rules. The Director must be enthusiastic about the sport of sailing and seek to expose students to the fundamentals of sailing and racing, model the leadership skills inherent to the sport of sailing, as well as the importance of the natural environment in which we sail. Exemplifying understanding of how children learn, particularly in hands-on activities, is also important. The Program Director must possess strong communication and organizational skills to maintain good relationships with staff, sailors, parents, the IJS Board, and the IBYC. The Program Director above all is responsible for the reputation of IJS and the safety of the staff and sailors while engaged in the IJS program. The Program Director reports directly to the IJS Board President.
The specific job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Oversee day to day operation of IJS summer season sailing program
● In coordination with the IJS President, hire all staff
● Interview and hire sailing instructors and assign them to appropriate classes to teach, along with assistants for each class
● Supervise and guide all instructors and staff throughout their development at IJS and their performance of job responsibilities, including timely submission of sailor progress reports
● Carry out Bi-weekly payroll
● Create staff training materials and training (or providing training for) all staff
● With the help of the Registrar, communicate regularly (and as otherwise needed) with parents (weekly emails, incidents, freesail, etc.)
● Provide day-to-day direction to all staff
● Ensure safety of all program sailors and IJS staff
● Monitor weather and weather patterns
● Ensure that equipment is regularly and properly maintained, is up to date and in good working order at all times
● Monitor feedback from staff, children and parents
● Set daily schedules
● Provide sailing educational materials that are developmentally appropriate for the 4 different sailing classes within the sailing program.
● Be onsite throughout the summer sailing sessions and also available at various times of the year to report to board meetings, follow up with staff, and assist in any off-season work.
● Assist instructors in the design and implementation of effective lesson plans that pique the curiosity of all learners through auditory, visual and kinesthetic means both on and off the water.
● Work with the IJS Directors on administrative tasks, e.g. class schedule, class/program size, boat-maintenance, registration, and program development.
● Provide staff feedback and staff bonding/development days
● Help coaches organize race schedules and logistics of attending regattas
● Work with the Board members in the organization of the end of the year celebration
● Work with all staff to organize and complete postseason work
● Create a needs list and recommendations for the following summer
● Evaluate staff at the end of summer and follow up in the late winter
● Attend Board meetings
● Maintain positive and respectful relationships with IBYC leaders, staff, members and other users of the IBYC