SHYC Sailing Director
South Haven Michigan is a beautiful place to spend the summer approximately two hours away from Chicago. The junior sailing program supports young sailors ages 8-16 and the adult program is usually sold out. The racing fleet is of about 15 PHRF racers and is growing. The instructional fleet currently consists of 15 Optimists, 2 mid range boats, 3 J-24s and 3 coach boats. This position is a visible and substantial leadership role in the sailing program and in the community as a whole. This program would be very easy to step into next summer but also be open to development by an enthusiastic leader.
The Sailing Director manages and leads the Junior Sailing Program, the Race Committee and manages the fleet. They work closely with the Sailing Instructors and Club Manager. We have a great set of seasoned instructors currently. The Director would develop and improve current junior and adult offerings. The SHYC Junior Sailing Program has up to 20 sailors a week over the 8 week summer program. The position is Monday through Friday day time hours for the junior program with occasional evening work for the adult program. The Sailing Director is primarily responsible for organizing and conducting all adult races including Thursday nights and 2 one day Saturday regattas. This position reports to the SHYC Sailing chair and is supported by the club manager as well as the fleets and docks chair.
- Supervising and evaluating a staff consisting of Sailing Instructors and junior interns.
- Setting curriculum and lesson plans for all levels.
- Creating a safe and positive learning experience for all children and adults. Enforce standard safety sailing procedures. Responsible for reviewing safety protocols with local emergency personal, making any needed adjustments along with ensuring all races are updated.
- Organizing fleet, staff and participants to do local and regional junior regattas.
- Organize, Conduct and oversee all adult races including weekly race season, Invitational and Commodore Cup. This includes writing NOR/ SIs for all races, setting up and maintaining Yacht Scoring system, finding and organizing race committee for all events, purchasing race award flags, setting up a Protest committee.
- Responsible for weekly print outs of scores, posting them at club.
- Responsible for all pre-race aspects of conducting of races including reviewing racers PHFRs, insurance and physically signed waivers along with maintaining those records for the season.
- Responsible for setting yearly sailing education and racing schedule and budget.
- Responsible for writing monthly Sexton article on sailing programs during summer.
- Responsible for all advertising/Flyers for all races- sending info to LMSRF, neighboring clubs, Club Communication Chair, South Haven Visitors bureau
- Responsible for Spring Skipper meeting, Fall awards banquet and Post season skipper meeting work with club manager on these events.
- Responsible for finding professionals and judges for SHYC invitational event
- Responsible for design of materials and shirts for invitational race
- Purchase any needed equipment with reimbursement from appropriate budget.
- Responsible for reporting accidents, both minor and serious, to the SHYC board with incident reports.
- Overseeing maintenance of motorboats and sailboats which includes leading staff in preparation of the boats during set-up week. Perform safety inspection on RC equipment. Perform minor repairs when needed. Notify facilities staff of major repairs as required.
- Director is expected to take care of minor repairs as needed repairs or maintenance of the fleet. Responsible for reporting any serious problems of any boat used in the program to the SHYC board.
- If needed, provide support to SHYC special events as required.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Candidates should be motivated, independent sailors who enjoy working with children and will be mature role models for younger staff members.They must have (or plan on obtaining):
- US Sailing Small Boat Level I Certification
- Current First Aid and Advanced CPR Certification
- Experience as a participant in youth and collegiate sailing
- Experience managing a staff ranging in age from high school to early college
- Competency in day-to-day sailing and motor fleet maintenance
- Familiar with all aspects of running races
- Valid driver’s license, boat trailering experience if possible
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership abilities with respect to children, parents and young staff alike
Additional Requirements & Information:
- Adherence to the bylaws of SHYC and the laws of the state of Michigan is mandatory. Maturity, consideration, enthusiasm, discipline, skill and safety awareness are attributes needed at all times at work and after hours.
- The position offers the candidate the opportunity to teach private lessons during unscheduled hours.
- Ability to communicate effectively the South Haven Yacht Club board of directors monthly either call/email.
- Ability to attend in person bi yearly South Haven Yacht Club Board meeting (spring
- Costs incurred while traveling for regattas attended by sailing program participants is covered by the club.
- Housing can be provided if needed.
- SALARY is Very competitive and commensurate with experience and accepted responsibilities. Housing can be provided and meals at the club provided as well.
The South Haven Yacht Club is a beautiful and vibrant community located on the sunset coast of Lake Michigan. Information about the club can be found at: www.southhavenyachtclub.com
Tristan Wilson - email@example.com, 269-808-3171