$25 per hr + $3500 foundation scholarship.
The Sailing Specialist is the advanced journey level classification in the Sailing Instructor series. Incumbents are seasonal and require excellent communication and interpersonal skills, knowledge of the assigned program area(s) and the ability to be flexible and to learn new recreational activities as necessary.
The Sailing Specialist is distinguished from the Sailing Instructor by the overall, day-to-day responsibility for the planning, directing and successful implementation of programs. Incumbents provide support and assistance to the Recreation Supervisor on an ongoing basis.
Incumbents work under general supervision from the Recreation Supervisor.
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
• Plan and create schedules; coordinate available facilities and times/dates, register applicants for participation and collect fees.
• Prioritize daily work activities for self and others as designated.
• Train and act as a resource to assigned part-time staff in assigned program areas.
• Review and evaluate the progress and effectiveness of specific recreation activities; develop recommendations for revisions and document the same.
• Monitor and assess the condition of facilities being used in terms of suitability, physical condition and safety.
• Document all incidents involving injury, behavioral problems and/or any unusual events and communicate to appropriate resources and Recreation Supervisor.
• Work with or manage small program budget with Recreation Supervisor approval.
• Maintain records and files on all participants in program areas and activities.
• Complete written reports as needed.
• Provide direct leadership to program participants in assigned youth and adult sailing programs.
• Plan, organize and implement various daily recreational activities in assigned program areas.
• Responsible for supplies and equipment utilized in recreational programs, activities and events; ensure equipment is used in an appropriate manner including life jackets, sails, boats, ropes, etc.
• Supervise program participants to maintain participant safety at all times.
• Attend meetings, workshops, orientations and training sessions as required.
• Maintain regular attendance and adhere to prescribed word schedule to conduct job responsibilities.
• Establish, maintain and foster positive and effective working relationships with co-workers and all others contacted in the performance of assigned duties.
• Utilize appropriate safety procedures and practices for assigned duties.
• Work safely and cooperatively with others.