Position: Head Sailing Instructor
Classification: Full Time/Part Time, Seasonal, Non-Benefit Eligible
Reports To: General Manager & SSYC Junior Advisor
Hourly rate: $22-$25 Depending on experience.
The Head Sailing Instructor will assist the Junior Advisor in managing day-to-day operations and oversee the instruction of all sailing programs from beginning to advanced racing throughout the 9-week summer season. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in sailing and previous teaching experience. The position is an hourly position from June through the end of August. The Head sailing instructor will collaborate with volunteers, communicate with parents, and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment. The position will supervise other instructors and participate in instruction of Junior members on proper procedures of sailing and maintenance of equipment including sailboats. It is expected, the Head Sailing Instructor will conduct themselves with professionalism and embody the values of South Shore Yacht Club and the Junior Sailing program.
· Design and develop a comprehensive sailing curriculum that caters to participants of varying skill levels, from beginners to advanced sailors and racing tactics.
· Stay updated on industry best practices and incorporate innovative teaching methods to enhance the learning experience.
· Train and supervise a team of sailing instructors.
· Develop staff schedules to ensure proper coverage for classes throughout the season.
· Conduct regular staff meetings to discuss curriculum updates, safety protocols, and any other relevant information.
· Provide ongoing support and mentorship to instructors to help them improve their teaching skills.
· Oversee the scheduling of sailing classes, ensuring a balanced and efficient use of resources.
· Collaborate with Junior Advisor on program development and make recommendations on improvement.
· Maintain accurate records of participants progress, certifications, and attendance.
Safety & Risk Management:
· Always develop and enforce safety protocols on and off the water for both staff and participants.
· Conduct regular safety drills and ensure that all equipment and facilities meet or exceed safety standards.
· Respond promptly and effectively to any emergencies or incidents during sailing sessions.
· Foster positive relationships with participants and their families.
· Communicate with parents and students on all weather, scheduling, or other issues as they arise.
· Coordinate with volunteers as needed for regattas and other special activities.
· Address student and parent concerns or feedback promptly and professionally.
· Oversee the maintenance and repair of sailing equipment, ensuring that all gear is in proper working condition.
· Coordinate with Club leadership and Junior advisor to procure equipment as needed.
Racing & Regattas Management:
· Coordinate with Race Coach on regattas schedule, crew assignments, assist in loading trailer and safety equipment is available.