Summer (Camp) Counselor
Category: Administrative & Professional
Locations: Bronx, NY
Posted: Nov 1, 2022
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: Part-time Temporary
Position ID: 155205
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College is located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and Midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
SUNY Maritime College is looking for outgoing, responsible and motivated camp counselors to ignite program participants' interest in aquatic and maritime activities such as: sailing, powerboating, marine environmental science, paddle boarding, kayaking, fishing, swimming, SCUBA diving and other waterfront activities and adventures during the summer program season.
- Help ensure a safe and fun learning environment for 3rd - 9th grade campers/other program participants
- Collaborate and plan activities with fellow counselors, instructors, and other Waterfront staff
- Coordinate and lead team building activities, field games, color war, and paddling activities
- Assist with sailing, powerboating, marine environmental science, and swimming activities
- Evaluate and adjust curriculum and activities, as needed
- Be a mentor and role model for Counselors in Training (CITs)
- Prepare, maintain, and properly clean, and stow all equipment
- Assist with other summer programs at the Waterfront, including "Boogie Down to the Sound"
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Waterfront Staff
- Fun-loving, sense of adventure, team player, positive, can-do attitude
- Passion for and experience with working with children in a dynamic outdoor environment
- Ability to work well with others as a collaborative team player and take initiative as a leader
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification, or ability to achieve before summer
- Experience in a camp setting
- Sailing, powerboating, swimming and/or paddling experience
- USCG Launch Tender License
- Lifeguard certification
- Covid-19 Vaccination
- $600.00 - $1000.00 / week; lunch included
- Possible dorm room housing available
- June 19 - June 23: on-site camp training & orientation
- June 26 - August 4: camp (three 2-week sessions, Monday - Friday)
- August 8 & 9: post-camp debrief & pack-up
- Will be required to work one Saturday, date TBD, at "Boogie Down to the Sound" event.
NOTE: We are continuously monitoring ongoing developments with the novel Coronavirus COVID-19. Updates regarding 2023 SUNY Maritime Summer Programming will be communicated as information becomes available. COVID-19 protocols are, and will be both adhered to and enforced. Please note that Program is contingent upon favorable governing pandemic procedures and guidance.
Budget Title: Technical Specialist (CSL)
Local Title: Summer Camp Counselor
Line #: Various
For those desiring additional information, please contact the Waterfront at email@example.com.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
SUNY Maritime is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning and working environment.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at email@example.com. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu/university-police.
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Applicants are asked to submit the following with application:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three professional references
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edits your profile or to upload additional documents.
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action.