Columbia Sailing School is looking for a seasonal full-time Summer Head Coach who has experience in advanced dinghy coaching. We are a 501(c)3 organization housed within Columbia Yacht Club located in downtown Chicago. Every year, we welcome over 500 kids ages 5-18 to the shorelines of Lake Michigan for classes ranging from adventure boating to high-performance racing. During the fall and spring seasons, we host 8 local high schools that compete in the MISSA High School sailing conference. As a certified REACH Center of Excellence, we also focus heavily on outreach to underserved area schools in accordance with US Sailing’s REACH Curriculum. In 2019 we were also designated as the primary Siebel Sailing Center for the Midwest Region of the United States with a purpose to increase opportunity and diversity in the sport of sailing by providing resources and support to youth sailors. Columbia Sailing School is heavily involved in all aspects of sailing and marine education, and we are looking for a well-rounded individual who can continue to build our program and call Chicago home.
The Head Coach is in charge of running practice for the Columbia Sailing School Summer c420 Race Team five days a week, as well as travel with the team to compete in out-of-town regattas.
• Coordinate and run advanced practices for the c420 Summer Race Team
• Manage logistics of traveling to and from out-of-town regattas
• Provide requested reports and data to On the Water Director and Sailing School Commodore
• Attend/Participate in daily staff meetings, weekly manager meetings, and committee meetings as required
• Under the direction of the On the Water Director send weekly communications to Race Team parents
Miscellaneous• Manage C420 boat repairs