The GHYC Sailing Instructor position has both junior and adult learn to sail and basic racing responsibilities. Candidates must be familiar with on-board race coaching for adults and have experience racing small keelboats with spinnakers. Instructors should be knowledgeable and experienced in rigging and sailing the following club-owned boats: Opti’s, 420’s, Lasers, Sunfish, and Rhodes 19’s. Instructors may work with juniors, adults or both depending on skills and experience.
Sailing instructors must be enthusiastic, outgoing and take teaching seriously. They must also be experienced in customer service and have incredible interpersonal and communication skills. Organization, quick thinking and adaptability are key. Individuals must be willing to work Monday through Saturday with long hours during the busy nine-week season.
Subsidized housing and staff meals provided for a weekly charge. Competitive pay based on experience.
Daily responsibilities include:
- Arriving to work on-time and in uniform, including preparation of gear for foul weather sailing
- Strong customer service skills both on and off the water
- Curriculum development each week, including daily lesson plans and weekly progress reports
- Prepare classroom chalk talks to explain the on-the-water activities each day including drills and games
- Sailing on-board with adults instructing basic sailing up to advanced racing
- Daily maintenance of assigned coach boat
- Daily maintenance of safety equipment
- Daily maintenance of sailboats – rigging and repair
- Race management skills, including Race Committee and Mark Laying
- Proper filing of incident/injury and damage reports daily
- Administrative skills at the sailing center (attendance sheets, answering phones, meeting and greeting sailors and parents, etc.)
- US Sailing Level 1 Certification or Foreign Country Equivalent
- Current First Aid and CPR Certification
- Adhering to the same standards of service and behavior that peers are required to uphold and practice interdepartmental cooperation
- Practicing seamanlike behavior, which includes a positive and friendly demeanor.
- Practice excellent customer service skills and flexibility when teaching juniors and adults
- Maintaining a professional well-groomed appearance at all times, including wearing proper uniform and shoes.