Summer Sailing Instructor
20 Jay Street Suite 824B
Brooklyn, NY 11201
About Brooklyn Boatworks
Harnessing the unique craft of wooden boatbuilding and maritime-centered exploration, we inspire young people to uncover the confidence, skills, and courage to chart pathways to their own success in and outside the classroom.
We teach and promote the values of learning by doing, teamwork, perseverance and craftsmanship. Brooklyn Boatworks promotes excellence by creating learning environments grounded in respect, support, and dignity for all students. We work with students to build Optimist prams which are used in summer months to provide sailing and waterfront education.
Boat Type and Location: We sail student-made Optimist Pram sailboats out of Brooklyn Bridge Park in the East River.
Position: Seasonal PT Summer Sailing Instructor ($20-25/hour commensurate with experience)
• On-time and responsible
• Enthusiastic about working with young people with little to no sailing experience
• Demonstrated ability to instruct young people in a respectful manner (1+ years youth instruction experience preferred)
• Proficient sailor who can follow curriculum & teach young people to safely sail optimist prams
• Willing & able to sail an optimist pram with a student passenger aboard
• Able to spend extended time outdoors, rain or shine
• Available for staff training June 29 – July 1
• Available Monday – Friday, July 6 – August 14
• Some Saturday work may be required
• First Aid & CPR certifications a plus
• Sailing Instructor certifications a plus
• Lead lessons including rigging, on-water drills, safety practices, terminology, team-building activities etc.
• Work collaboratively with the Boatworks sailing and off-water team, helping with all components of the sail day including setup, breakdown, & fleet maintenance
• Conduct all activities according to the policies, procedures and practices that guide the program plan & curriculum
• Adjust on-the-fly and recognize and adapt to inherent changes to plan due to weather, safety protocols, student energy, etc.
• Follow curricular plan, and make links between waterfront curriculum and on-water experiences for students
• Provide and participate in opportunities for students to reflect on their experiences
Interested candidates please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using subject line: Summer Sailing Instructor. Please, no phone calls.
Brooklyn Boatworks is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, and individuals from the many communities we serve to apply.
20 Jay Street Suite 824B