Columbia Sailing School is looking for a seasonal full-time Summer Sailing School Coordinator who has experience in day-camp management. We are a 501(c)3 organization housed within Columbia Yacht Club located in downtown Chicago. Every year, we welcome over 500 kids ages 5-18 to the shorelines of Lake Michigan for classes ranging from adventure boating to high-performance racing. During the fall and spring seasons, we host 8 local high schools that compete in the MISSA High School sailing conference. As a certified REACH Center of Excellence, we also focus heavily on outreach to underserved area schools in accordance with US Sailing’s REACH Curriculum. In 2019 we were also designated as the primary Siebel Sailing Center for the Midwest Region of the United States with a purpose to increase opportunity and diversity in the sport of sailing by providing resources and support to youth sailors. Columbia Sailing School is heavily involved in all aspects of sailing and marine education, and we are looking for a well-rounded individual who can continue to build our program.
Manage the morning intake and checkout of campers, as well as assist on-shore with first aid and communicate with parents. Coordinate keeping instructors on-task and help with the movement of campers. Act as the first line of communication in regards to addressing parents, coaching, and safety concerns.
• Greet parents and campers every morning for check-in
• Assist coaching staff with first aid and contacting parents
• Communicate effectively with parents and escalate issues to On the Water Director if necessary
• Provide requested reports and data to On the Water Director and Sailing School Commodore
• Uphold Columbia Sailing School’s safety standards
• Help keep coaches moving and on-task
• Address and escalate any coaching or safety concerns if appropriate
• Attend/Participate in daily staff meetings, weekly manager meetings, and committee meetings as required