The Greater Lawrence Community Boating Program’s junior competitive team, Greater Lawrence Sailing, seeks a Varsity and Junior Varsity coach for their newly established (2020) Club 420 sailing team. This is a fantastic opportunity for a new coach or recent NCAA grad to leave their mark on a new community-based program that serves high school and middle school students.
These coaches are responsible for the planning and execution of sailing team practices for the Varsity and Junior Varsity teams under the direction of the Sailing Director. Additionally, coaches will assist the Sailing Director in planning for races/regattas (home and away) and the Varsity coach will be the head travel coach for away regattas.
Each team will meet three days a week and will have occasional weekend practices or races. Teams practice on the Merrimack River, but may receive the opportunity to hold practices on the ocean in Greater Boston. Our Sailing Director is open to discussing the combining of the positions for the right person, who would then be considered the Head Coach and would coach both teams.
We are looking for someone who has drive and passion, and is able to bring our program to the next level of club racing.
- Plan and execute thoughtful practice/drills for team practices including:
- advanced racing techniques
- C420 and Sunfish skills
- match racing
- chalk-talks & debriefs
- on the water drills
- rain-out activities
- proficiency evaluations
- progress reports
- fun water-based activities
- Work with the Sailing Director to further the overall vision of Greater Lawrence Sailing.
- Be a role model for team members and other coaching staff.
- Enforce good sportsmanship as well as the general policies of GLS and the GLCBP.
- Work with local area schools and youth programs to promote the program and increase participation.
- Provide occasional boat maintenance as needed/directed.
- Attend events, functions, and meetings as directed.
- Any other team-related duty/job as needed and deemed appropriate.