The Castine Yacht Club (CYC), located in Castine, Maine a historic and beautiful small town on the coast, is looking to hire an enthusiastic, innovative and hard-working Waterfront Director for the 2020 summer season. Castine’s sailing history is long and the town plays host to many weekly and regional regattas namely the Castine Classic Yacht Race. With its strong membership and community of all ages, CYC is home to a vibrant sailing program for children ages 6-17 as well as a dedicated adult sailing community. Castine sits at the intersection of the Bagaduce River and Penobscot Bay, and the Yacht Club–with a view and island access that cannot be beat–has a fleet of boats from Turnabouts to Colgates and 420s.
The Waterfront Director is responsible for day-to-day operations and management of the CYC during the season. The successful candidate will bring to the position a level of previous management or demonstrated leadership of groups of adults or children and will be responsible for overseeing and managing the sailing program (with the help of a Head Sailing Instructor), the management of dockhands and launch drivers and the waterfront facility.
The Waterfront Director responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Overseeing and helping implement sailing instruction at both the junior and adult levels, in coordination with the volunteer Head of Youth Sailing (CYC member).
1. Sailing instruction includes seamanship, race training, rowing and boat handling instruction as well as special events as scheduled.
2. Evaluating and helping set curriculum for sailing program on both youth and adult levels.
3. Managing sailing instructors (through Head Sailing Instructor), dock hands, launch drivers and an administrative assistant.
· Promoting safe practices of the Club and incorporating safety training programs for the Club including a weekly thirty (30) minute safety meeting for all staff.Serve as lead for weeklong fleet and facility preparation (June 15) and breakdown (end of summer) alongside CYC Commodore and Fleet Captain.