Weekapaug Yacht Club
Weekapaug Yacht Club has a 130-year history of advancing the love of small-boat sailing
and racing. With more than a thousand active members, a thriving summer youth sailing
program and an active fleet of adult Beetle Cat sailors, the club holds 2 ECSA regattas each
summer and is a regular host of the Leo J Telesmanick Beetle Cat Regatta.
Situated on beautiful Quonochontaug Pond, a large tidal salt pond near Westerly, Rhode
Island, with access to the ocean, our club benefits from a unique environment in which to
develop young sailors and race small boats. The pond provides a variety of sailing
conditions, from protected coves for beginners to open water for advanced sailors and
racers, while ocean sailing is available from our beach.
The Weekapaug Yacht Club youth sailing program has a rich and successful history, having
produced innumerable college sailors and counts Olympic medalists among former
instructors. Our youth sailors compete successfully in Opti and 420 regattas across Rhode
Island and Eastern Connecticut, and many continue to sail year-round. Our instructor team
is made up of college and high school sailors and includes graduates of our own youth
program. They make use of our small fleet of well-maintained RIBs and a new
(2024) committee boat.
Rebuilt in 2023, our club house is a state-of-the-art sailing facility, with immediate access
to the water, and dedicated spaces for instruction, club management, storage and boat
repairs. From the 2nd floor decks, members and staff enjoy breathtaking views across both
the ocean and Quonochontaug pond.
Director of Sailing Position
We are looking for a mature, self-directed leader to manage, and continue to improve, the
Weekapaug Yacht Club’s youth sailing program, and to support our adult sailors and racers.
The ideal candidate will manage all aspects of the program including the curriculum, the
instructor team, racing and regatta performance, membership engagement, safety
procedures and our fleet of sailboats. This person will be expected to nurture youth sailors
from beginners through to race teams.
We seek a leader who will represent the Club with integrity and be a positive role model
for our sailors on and off the water. The ability to problem-solve in the short term, juggle
many tasks during a very busy sailing season, identify long-term program objectives, and
recruit staff will set the candidate apart. This is a full time, seasonal role (mid- June through late August) with part time off-season work (hiring, curriculum development, seasonal preparation).
- Recruit, train, supervise, and mentor sailing instructors for junior sailing and racing program encompassing ages 6-18, beginners through advanced. Support adult programs.
- Lead the design and implementation of curriculum for all youth sailing programs; support adult sailing programs.
- Oversee all sailing programs and activities from introductory sailing classes to junior race teams; from registration to end of Season.
- Organize participation in regattas (at home and away) including regatta selection, coaching, registration, transportation.
- Organize club sailing events including race days, club-hosted regattas and “fun”/non-competitive sailing events.
- Manage and maintain fleet of club boats including Optimists, C420s, coach motorboats, and additional recreational sailing boats (Hobies, Quests, Beetles, Sunfish)
- Prioritize safety at all times- on the water and on the club grounds
- Interact daily with member families, the Club Manager and the Chair of the Sailing Committee to answer questions, improve programs and resolve concerns
Key experience, qualifications, certifications, and skills
- Excellent knowledge of sailing, sailing instruction, and racing; particularly for Optimists and C420s.
- Experience coaching / teaching sailing to youth (ages 6-18); managing sailing programs; managing regattas
- Competitive racing experience- as participant, coach and organizer.
- Experience managing children’s programs (camps, sports teams, etc.)
- Experience recruiting, training, managing and mentoring teenage and college-aged employees
- Certifications including:
- US Sailing Level 2 Instructor, or equivalent (Level 3 a plus)
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Housing support available to non-local candidates.
To apply email your personalized cover letter, resume and sailing resume to