Lakewood Yacht Club is looking for a Full-Time Sailing Coach for our year-round youth sailing program. Primary responsibilities will include coaching Optis, Lasers, FJ’s and potentially 420s. The Lakewood YC youth sailing program serves 90-100 sailors year-round, with more than 300 sailors enrolled in the summer programs. Our race teams have competed at the highest national and international levels. Must be able to work well with all age groups.
Lakewood Coaches are self-motivated, enthusiastic professionals who take teaching sailing seriously. They possess strong communication skills, organizational and leadership skills, and are team players. They are able to make sailing both an enjoyable and rewarding experience for our youth sailors while maintaining a fun and safe learning environment.
Lakewood Yacht Club is one of the top yacht clubs in the U.S. LYC has invested in excellent facilities and the sailing program has strong support from Club leadership and membership. Lakewood Yacht Club is located in Seabrook, Texas, with easy access to primary sailing areas including Clear Lake and Galveston Bay. Salary is commensurate with qualifications. LYC offers full benefits for this position.
Information regarding LYC’s Youth Sailing Program is available at: https://www.lakewoodyachtclub.com/youth-sailing1
• Assist in management of part-time or hourly coaches
• Develop lesson plans and preparing class activities
• Tailor coaching approach and content for both high-level, competitive racers as well as beginner and intermediate sailors
• Conduct practices with adjustments made for weather and student progress
• Travel to and supporting regattas as needed
• Maintain a safe and fun environment
• Take attendance at all practice and regattas
• Submit a brief written summary of regattas to the Waterfront Director
• Conducting debrief sessions with sailors after practices & regattas as appropriate with focus on meeting specific goals and objectives
• Utilize video when appropriate for reviewing and individual performance
• Appropriately handle any behavior issues which may arise
• Report all issues to the Waterfront Director
• Communicate with sailors and parents via periodical email updates and personal meetings
• All other activities associated with teaching sailing
• Proper care, handling and maintenance of all motorboats and sailboats
• Additionally, this position may include assistance with:
• Promoting and managing High School Sailing Programs & Bay Access Summer Programs
• Recruiting new sailors for sailing programs