Summer Sailing Coach
A position which requires professional youth sailing instruction and coaching in a regatta setting.
Report to Junior Sailing Director
Hourly; negotiable and commensurate with experience
Seasonal; full-time during Summer Program (June 15th through August 15th). The Summer Program is an intensive six-week, five-day program with additional weekend regattas. Candidates must be flexible with regard to work days/hours.
- Instruct a class of youth sailors with ability levels ranging from beginner to advanced (ages 7-17) in a variety of boats including Naples Sabots, CFJs, C420s.
- Assist sailors in setting goals with a focus on progress, improvement, and a winning tradition.
- Encourage participation and motivate sailors to a high level of commitment at practices and regattas.
- Develop daily lesson plans making full and constructive use of scheduled program times, combining classroom and on-the-water lessons or activities.
- Travel locally and regionally to regattas accompanied by parents, sailors, and/or other coaches (often on weekends).
- Physically assist sailors in launching, rigging and storing boats.
- Facilitate minor repairs and daily maintenance as needed.
- Evaluate and document progress/improvement in sailing skills of class students.
- Maintain ongoing communication with students, parents, staff and supervisor, demonstrating a sense of maturity and responsibility for the program.
- Take responsibility for ensuring a safe, organized, and educational environment.
Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club is located in Southern California within the city of Corona del Mar and runs a very competitive Youth Sailing Program in Newport Harbor. With around 450 members, we are a mid-size club with a full service restaurant, marina, boatyard, indoor dry storage for Sabots, swimming pool and more. Our goal is to instill a lifelong appreciation for sailing by creating an environment that promotes sportsmanship, safety, and success. BCYC offers a premier Junior Sailing Program with benefits that won’t be found anywhere else in Newport Beach. We offer regular programming during three of four seasons with beginner to advanced sailing instruction and elite travel race teams. Please contact the Junior Sailing Director for more information.