Youth Sailing Program Director at Barnegat Light Yacht Club, LBI
Barnegat Light Yacht Club
18 W. 76th Street
Barnegat Light Yacht Club (BLYC) is seeking a Youth Program Sailing Director for the 2020 summer season. The director will manage the staff of summer sailing instructors (approximately 8), help them on and off the water with the youth program participants, and may be responsible for some instruction. Competitive salaries are offered, based on experience.
Barnegat Light Yacht Club is located at 76th Street and the Bay in Harvey Cedars, New Jersey, on Long Beach Island. Founded in 1928 as the High Point Yacht Club, the Barnegat Light Yacht Club is the oldest sailing club on Long Beach Island. Its clubhouse, which still stands today, was built in 1930.
The Junior Sailing Director is charged with overseeing all sailing instruction and curriculum for the Junior Sailing Program. Barnegat Light Yacht Club runs an eight- week junior sailing program from late June to mid- August. Our program enrolls about 75 children each year, ranging from 6-18 years old. Our junior sailing fleets include Optis, Laser 4.7 and Radials, and 420s. We offer instruction, race teams and an “Adventures in Sailing” program for older sailors who may not want to race. Our goal is to foster a love of sailing and excellence in racing. Our sailors compete in weekly interclubs with other clubs on the island, which require some local travel, and there may be some participation in off-island regattas within reasonable distance. We host two junior regattas during the season.
This position works in collaboration with and under the guidance of the Flag officers of the club and the Junior Program Committee.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• General supervision of all sailing instructors
• General supervision and safety of all youth recreation members.
• Work with the sailing instructors in the development of a daily lesson plan in accordance with US Sailing, the sailing instructors and the Youth Committee.
• Lead daily staff meetings to determine plans, assignments and logistics
• Assist the instructors as needed on and off the water.
• Supervise all waterfront activities. Keep daily attendance and current class lists. Oversee club clean up daily.
• Communicate with families through email, team app, texts and/ or phone calls. Handle any parent complaints or concerns, and escalate if needed.
• Coordinate boat transportation to away regattas.
• Communicate daily with the Youth Program Director.
• Work with the Youth Committee in the planning, running and supervising of the Interclub and other youth sailing events at BLYC
• Attend all LBIYRA meetings as designated by the Youth Program Chair and have all sailing instructors attend (mandatory) orientation, with date and location TBD.
• Maintenance of all boats and equipment related to the sailing program (VHF radios etc)
• Attend the student orientation on Saturday, June 27, 2020
• Prepare, coordinate and attend the Awards Ceremony on Friday, August 22, 2020 (responsible for all sailing awards)
• Maintain organization of the storage sheds and youth locker.
• Participate in and assist the Youth Program Chair and Vice Commodore with junior social activities.
• Responsible (with instructors) for End- of –Year evaluations and recommendations for student placement
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following characteristics:
- At least 18 years of age
- At least 2 years experience as Head Sailing Instructor or Youth Sailing Director
- Must have a Level II US Sailing certification, and First Aid and CPR certifications, and a valid NJ Power Boat operator’s license
- Ability to commit to pre and post season work as needed
- Ability to work between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm (and occasionally later during interclubs and regattas) during the season
- Calm disposition, positive attitude, and patience
- Problem-solving approach and problem-resolution skills
- Able to set a good example in all ways for young sailors
- Enthusiasm- and a love of sailing and working with kids!
18 W. 76th Street