Lakewood Yacht Club offers a unique Youth Sailing Program, with a wide variety of opportunities for children of all ages. Achieving prominence as one of the top yacht club programs in the United States, our youth sailors (the Seahorses) participate in the Texas Sailing Association Series as well as National and International Regattas worldwide. With programs that offer year-round fun for members and guests alike, our summer sailing camps, Learn-to Sail and Advanced Racing classes, there is something for every young aspiring sailor at Lakewood Yacht Club.
This position has been created at Lakewood to take our Youth Sailing to the next level. The individual that fills this role will have full control over the development of all youth sailors as they progress through the fleets and grow with experience. A truly visionary position, this person will ensure consistency within the program by managing all youth coaches and curriculum required to support sailor progression.
The individual will also have a primary duty as Head Opti Coach, focusing their efforts on high performance level sailors and training. As Head Opti Coach, they must coordinate with junior level coaches to make sure entry and intermediate level sailors have appropriate on and off the water instruction and support.
Lakewood Yacht Club will support the employment VISA (work permit) process for qualified individuals that may be of foreign nationality.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Lead and direct a Youth Sailing Program:
a. Create a development path for sailors starting with the Learn to Sail fleet and moving into Opti Green, Opti Advanced, Lasers and beyond.
b. Create the overall strategy and lesson planning for all youth sailing programs.
c. Schedule all coaches for the Youth Sailing practices and regattas.
d. Aid in lesson planning and review with fleet coaches.
e. Ensure safety planning and protocols are established and implemented.
2. Develop an Advanced Optimist Racing Program:
a. Act as Head Coach for the Optimist Fleet, with special focus on the high-performance team.
b. Design and implement daily lesson plans for all weather conditions both on the water and on land.
c. Direct junior coaches to assist with entry or intermediate RWB Opti sailors.
d. Organize and manage regatta schedule (domestic and international), budget and exposure relevant to advanced level sailors (USODA, IODA, Worlds, etc).
e. Travel to regattas (domestic and international) as a coach and assist with organizing club regattas.
3. Identify, Develop and Manage coaches for the Youth Sailing Program to include Optimist (Learn to Sail, Green Fleet & Advanced RWB), Laser, and potential double handed opportunities.
4. Create and manage the overall Youth Sailing budget with the Waterfront Director, Club General Manager and Seahorse Committee Lead.
5. Work in conjunction with the Waterfront Director to assist with the development of Lakewood sailing programs and help with the organization and upkeep of the boat storage area.
6. Assist in identifying any required maintenance issues with sailboats, support boats and related equipment used on the waterfront.
7. Effectively communicate with Waterfront Director, Seahorse Committee, Parent Fleet Coordinators, Parents and Coworkers. Attend Seahorse Committee meetings held monthly at the club.
8. Promote Youth Sailing to club members by contributing content to the club newsletter, Seahorse weekly email, social media and through communication with parents. Assist the waterfront director in the development of marketing materials to promote the Youth Sailing Programs.
9. Promote fiscal responsibility and responsible use of resources with fellow coaches, employees, and sailors.